Tuesday, November 17, 2009

On the Lighter Side: Things that go Bump in the Night

About a month ago I was trying to go to sleep at aroun 10 p.m. and all I can hear is movement in the backyard outside my window. The sound was pretty loud but I assumed it was an animal and tried to go back to sleep. I keep hearing the noise again and again and become somewhat irritated so I leave my room and report to my house mates that I am a wee-bit freaked out, but they just dismiss this as me being me. Then my room mate Alice retires to her room but reemerges moments later to report that she has heard the same noise. After an investigation by Mzi it is determined that it was the two ducks who belong to the owners of the property and live in the backyard, making the noise as they had escaped from their cage.

So last night at about 3 a.m. it got quite windy outside (and cold for that matter) and I woke up with a significant headache, to hear shuffling in the backyard. Having been advised by the ISS that there had been a recent increase in house robberies in the area I was somewhat concerned. As I heard the noise again, and again I became even more concerned, so I got out of bed and sat in the hall for an hour until I was certain that whatever was out there was of no threat to me. Eventually I go back to sleep.

When I woke up this morning I peered through my curtain to see if there was any evidence of an animal visitor or intruder and what do I see but those two ducks sitting right in front of my window. On a side note everyone who lives with me wants to kill the ducks as it is as they quack incessantly between 5 and 9 every morning.

After discovering the ducks, I text message Mzi (who lives with us but also works for the owners of the property) that the ducks had escaped again. I then go and have a shower. When I return from my shower all I can hear is Mzi politely explaining to the ducks that they need to go back in their cage and walking them back to their home. This really made my day.

On another note, for those of you who haven't been counting the days until my glorious return to Canada, I will arrive at Pearson Airport at 6:25 p.m. one month today! See you soon!

2 comments: