Tuesday, April 6, 2010

" This is the final Boarding call for Flight 606 to Halifax"

So there are tales from my trip home for Easter coming but before that I thought I would impart this short story with you today from the airport in Toronto.

Today I was flying back from Toronto to Halifax and arrived at the airport quite early, having gotten a ride up from my friend Claire on her way to work (thanks again :)). So I arrived at my gate and this fellow sat down next to me saying that he recognized me from Halifax. I was somewhat surprised as I didn't recognize him at all but as it would turn out he is an up and coming spoken word artist originally from Bermuda now going to school in Hali.
After quite an extensive conversation I turned to reading my book when said individual asked if I would watch his stuff while he went to the bathroom. I said of course. It was 20 minutes to boarding.
15 minutes pass and they make the first boarding announcement, you know the one for people with young children or for star alliance gold and star alliance members. He still isn't back and I'm a little concerned but I'm convinced he must be just around the corner.
Five minutes pass and they make the second boarding announcement, for people in rows 22 and up. I am in row 24 but I still have this man's things with me (which included a lap top and demo CDs.
5 more minutes pass and they make the final boarding announcement. Not knowing what to do I decide to take the baggage to the woman at the boarding gate and explain the situation. She not only refuses to take the luggage but tells me she is not going to let me board the plane until the guy returns for his things. At this point I am freaking out and a pilot who is waiting for a flight on stand by notices and tells me to go and dump the guy's things around the corner and tell the flight attendant that I found him. I frankly wonder why they won't just do a call out for him. Anyway as the line was dwindling here comes this fellow around the corner. He seems oblivious to the fact that there was any problem with him leaving his things with me for over a half an hour and assures me he wouldn't have missed the flight. We then both get a stern lecture about not leaving items unattended, and me about agreeing to watch his things.

I guess in the Age of Terrorism there is no room left for being a good Samaritan.

2 comments:

  1. not in an airport anyways. Funny how no matter what policies head office comes up with the people on the ground always have a way around them("put them around the corner and say you found them" for example)

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting story... and I'd be happy to drive you to the airport anytime :)

    ReplyDelete