Friday, August 27, 2010

Terry Fox Run 2010

This year marks the 30th Anniversary of Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope, which I will proudly be running in.

It's not something that I often talk about but I had an older brother named Alan. He was born in March 1982, less than a year after Terry Fox died. Before his first Birthday my parents took him to the doctor when he seemed to be having trouble recovering from the flu. It was at that point that they discovered he had Leukemia. After receiving treatment including chemotherapy and blood transfusions, he went into remission from the cancer. Sadly the cancer returned when he was three and my brother passed away at home in August 1985, a year and 2 months before I was born.

Growing up my parents often talked about my brother and by the time I started school I not only knew about him and his fight but also about cancer. When I was very young even watching the video that they showed every year before the Terry Fox Run was enough to move me to tears.

In addition to losing my brother both of my mom's parents with whom I had a close relationship, died of cancer and complications due to cancer. I also lost an uncle, my dad's older brother to cancer in 2008.

Although I have participated in the run in the past through school, this will be my first run as an individual. I am running 4 times a week to increase my running distance from 5 to 10km (I'm currently at 8).

If you would be interested in donating to the Terry Fox Society to support me in my run please visit my fundrasing page at: http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=931962&LangPref=en-CA

If you would prefer to support me in other ways, if you're in Ottawa I will be participating in the run at Carleton University on September 19th at 9 a.m. and would love to see you there.

Having the opportunity to participate in the Terry Fox Run means a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment