Tuesday, August 23, 2011

In Memorial: Jack Layton

The first time I heard Jack Layton speak I was 16. It was a cold day in late February 2003, I was 16 and attending my first Peace Vigil. The war in Iraq was fast approaching and I was attending a student's peace vigil at Mississauga City Hall, armed with a hand made sign. I don't remember exactly what Jack said but, standing only a few feet from him, I remember being impressed that he would find time to come and speak to a couple of hundred students and that I was touched by what he said.

This experience laid the foundation for my interest in the NDP even though at the time I felt that the NDP was not a contender in National Politics I agreed with their foreign policy. This was also the start of my civic involvement. Much to my mother's shagrin I attended the much larger March 15th protest opposing the war two weeks later.

Eight years later in January of 2011 I found myself job hunting. A number of people had suggested I try my luck with a political party, and the NDP was the only party I would consider. Through my job search I was invited both to volunteer with the All Party Parliamentary Committee on the Prevention of Genocide and other Crimes Against Humanity which was run from Paul Dewar's office and working on the National Suicide Prevention Strategy Campaign in Megan Leslie's office, both opportunities which I jumped at.

Over the following four months I became intimately acquainted with the staff of both MP's offices and the Confederation building. I enjoyed working with both and so when the election was called I naturally volunteered to canvas for Paul Dewar in Ottawa Center. This was also an experience which I immensely enjoyed.

Because of my volunteer work in late April I was invited to a breakfast which Jack Layton was attending and I stood behind him as he delivered a Press Release. His determination and optimism was evident as he smiled while he walked with his cane towards the podium. The orange crush had begun.

On May 2nd, everyone cheered at Paul Dewar's victory party when it was announced that Mr. Layton had succeeded in becoming the leader of the official opposition, a first for the party.

Yesterday I was very sad to learn that Jack Layton had lost his battle with cancer. However, I am certain that he lives on through the inspiration which he created through his fight for social justice in Canada and beyond.

Here is a Link to Jack's Final Letter to the Canadian Public: http://www.ndp.ca/letter-to-canadians-from-jack-layton

No comments:

Post a Comment