Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tip of the Hat to London


So after flying from Ottawa to Halifax and Halifax to London I arrived at Heathrow International Airport with about an hour worth of sleep. (I spent two hours on the plane watching Bridesmaids and to be honest I don't know what the hype was about that movie it was just a raw romantic comedy).

Once I had arrived I checked in for my next flight which was to depart ten hours later and hopped on the Heathrow Express, then the Tube and arrived at Piccadily Circus. Not sure where to go I started meandering, as I normally do in a new place, and found myself in St. James Park by the Thames River. From there I followed a gaggle of tourists towards the cavalry barracks which were quite ornate and from which I had a clear view of the big ben, Westminster Abbey and the Ferris Wheel.

After taking a few moments to take in the sights and take some pictures I moved on to a street which was far less busy where I found a place called "The French Bakery." What a find! The bakery was full of delightful looking desserts. I of course had a cupcake and a cup of tea and met some other Canadians.

Once I was finished I continued along an area called "South Bank" which had a book market, restaurants, art installations and other such things. After picking up some postcard I continued to an area named St. Paul's Cathedral and had some traditional fish and chips. I then continued to wander until I decided I was too tired and headed back towards the tube route I had started on. Which took about an hour.

I learned an important lesson on this excursion. It is not a good idea to try to walk for five hours after only having slept for 1.

I then returned to Heathrow for a nap and to board my plane
.


No comments:

Post a Comment