Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Major Disappointment

Given that my time is running short in South Africa I thought it might be prudent to start applying for jobs for the winter which I could work at while finishing my thesis. The perfect opportunity seemed to present itself when my program secretary sent an email advertising an internship with a UK based NGO. The internship was in Liberia and involved conducting nearly the same research that I have been doing for my thesis just in a different country context. Looking at the qualifications I seemed to fit the bill and eagerly applied for the position. Almost immediately I got a very positive response from the individual in charge of coordinating the internship and was certain that I would at least get an interview. A week went by after the application process closed and I hadn't heard anything so I emailed the individual and he responded that things were not moving as quickly as he would like because the process had become very bureaucratic within his office. So I waited. After another week passed, today I sent another inquiry and receivedthis as the response "The truth is that I really liked your application. I had you as my second choice to interview, based on the strength of your experience in SALW. Unfortunately, this selction process has become very politicized and I've lost a lot of control over it." The email was more detailed to that and responded to the question of how I might improve any future applications. Obviously this has left me with a few questions like what politics made someone within the office feel that I was less qualified than one of the other applicants. Needless to say I am feeling very disappointed and very discouraged about my job search. A bit of a damper on my last week in SA.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Bureaucracy State. White men are routinely excluded from hire by institutions and large public companies to favor less qualified/skilled/experienced women, elderly, disabled, aboriginal, homosexual or otherwise member of (supposed) visible minority. This is commonly know as "equal opportunity employment".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be that, it may not be. I'd say just take it in stride. I'd rather know I was second choice for a position than hear nothing and be left wondering just how competitive what I have to offer is.

    Find more jobs and apply more places - eventually you'll get the right one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not upset that I was second choice for an interview, mostly upset that I didn't get a chance to do that interview because of office politics.

    ReplyDelete