Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Funny Moment

So I have basically spent the last two days making connections with potential participants for my research. One of the locations I have been working out of is a Church mission which serves Congolese refugees. When I got there I was immediately introduced a language consultant who was Congolese in addition to a potential participant in my research. I briefly explained what my research was focused on and went off with the participant to have a more involved discussion and arrange a meeting. After I concluded my meeting I sat back down with the language consultant Eloi and discussed the possibility of me teaching a beginner level English class which I happily agreed to. I then asked him if he had any questions for me and he launched into a passionate speech about how it was resource exploitation which was prolonging the conflict in the DRC and how the conflict would never end as a result. This tirade at first left me speechless but then I suggested that perhaps Eloi would like to sit down with me and answer some of my research questions to which he adamantly agreed.

2 comments: