Thursday, October 1, 2009

Too much to Say

So I may have been a bit slow with my blog update and now I have too much to say. Since we last met I have gone to a South African club where I over did it with the dancing. I went to a rugby match where I was frightened by the loudness of the cheering. I went to two farmers markets,both boasting beautiful food, merchandise and scenery. I had my first, second, third and fourth day at the ISS. I have met a million wonderful people. I attended a seminar on the protection of civilians in the DRC which was given by a fellow Carleton grad, 20 years my senior. I developed an infection in the cavaties where my tonsils use to be. I cooked an enormous meal. I had a meeting with the South African Office of the United Nations Mission to the DRC and have enough leads that they may potentially blow my thesis out of the water. I also developed a reputation as "Elizabeth, the coffee slave from Canadia". I have to say I am really falling in love with SA. If any of these events are of particular interest you feel free to facebook me or email me for more details.

Entries you can expect in the near future include pictures from Pretoria and Geneva, and some additional discussion on the DRC. I hope all of my friends in Canada are doing well and enjoying the fall weather.

Missing You.

4 comments:

  1. You are falling in love with SA? But what about Canada? Please don't run away with your new love interest! haha

    I'm interested in this enormous meal you cooked? Was it traditional South African, or Canadian to show your new friends what we all eat here?
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I could run with my new love interest to Canada?

    Haha it was my tomato chicken penne that almost everyone who I have ever cooked for has consumed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hear more about these leads and your thesis - what kind of leads?

    (and coffee slave?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am in touch with someone who runs an NGO which services Congolese diaspora who should be able to put me in touch with people who can do interviews with me I also have some leads with MONUC.

    The coffee slave thing is from the ISS. Apparently taking coffee to go here is quite unusual so while we were walking back from the mall two of the girls from the office started talking about how they were going to spill their coffees so I incredulously took one of their coffees and earned myself the title of a coffee slave from Canadia

    ReplyDelete