Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where I Live.


So I was lying in bed last night, full of roasted chicken and wishing the internet was working (It was switched off due to a thunderstorm) when it occurred to me that I never really shared with anyone where I was living here, in Pretoria.
My house at 130 Mackenzie St. in Brooklyn, Pretoria is a combination of a Bed and Breakfast and a Commune. In terms of the bed and breakfast aspect, the accommodation service which runs the house provides furnished rooms to international students (as well as local ones in other houses) with access to a kitchen, TV room and two yards, one of which has a swimming pool (which is nice when I actually have time to use it). Breakfast is served on weekday mornings and there is room cleaning service once a week (which means my room is cleaner than it ever has been before).
In terms of the communal aspect there are about 8 of us living in one of the two international houses on a semi-longterm basis. Between us we share the responsibility of cooking meals (Last night I cooked a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner with roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, veggies, stuffing and I even managed to find cranberry jelly) (I am as disappointed as you that it wasn't Turkey). We also spend most evenings together and seem to be frequenting a dance club called Zanzu about once a week that plays hiphop and house (we of course listen to hip hop) (and I maintain that I like hip hop) which is fun.
Brooklyn is the area of Pretoria that I live in. It is fairly well off and you can find most of the same amenities as you might find in Canada, including a mall which is walking distance from my house and next to the Institute for Security Studies where I do a lot of my work. The streets are lined with Jacaranda trees which are in full bloom right now, with bright purple flowers (Pretoria is known as the Jacaranda Capital of the World). Most of the houses in this area are also very nice and are surrounded by walls, fences or in the case of really paranoid people both. I would say its fairly safe to say that there is a very high degree of fear here which fortunately to this point has been unsubstantiated. While crime does occur, the area seems to be relatively safe as long as you don't walk alone at night.
The city of Pretoria is also very nice as a whole. It is scenic and has several historical locations including the Union Buildings where the South African government currently sits. Pretoria also has its poor areas such as Sunny Side where the Canadian Embassy suggests you don't travel. Having been in the Sunny Side area I would say that even this area is okay during daylight although it requires a higher degree of caution than in Pretoria. However, in such areas the poverty which continues to exist in many areas of South Africa is more evident, if through nothing else, the number of organizations which are visible in the community offering assistance to the poor.
The weather here is very nice. When I arrived the weather was a bit cool, only reaching highs of a round 20 degrees Celsius but these days its closer to 30. The sunshine is much brighter than in Canada and is out most days. However, when it rains, it really does poor. Yesterday there were several smaller thunderstorms during the day and 2 bigger ones which lasted throughout the evening and had significant downpours.
Well tomorrow is my Birthday, I don't have any concrete plans but that is okay with me. Several of my new friends have expressed interest in doing something but it doesn't strike me as being very important right now, although I do look forward to partying with you guys when I am home at Christmas.

The next time you hear from me I will be 23!
Enjoy the pics.

TV Room, 130 Mackenzie St.
A very full kitchen!
The Union Buildings


Arne, Wester, Kay, Mzi and Chatta at Zanzu

Jacaranda Trees in Early Bloom on Mackenzie St.

2 comments:

  1. Okay so this whole you listening to Hip Hop is very new to me :)

    ReplyDelete