Sunday, September 13, 2009

Disasterous 6 hours

After a delightful 3 days in Germany disaster struck me twice in the 6 hours it took me to get from Mannheim to Geneva.
First after a relatively uneventful traintrip between Mannheim and Basel where I was supposed to transfer in an 8 minute period, the announcer called Basel out over the intercom and I gathered my things and got off the train. When I got off the train my surroundings seemed unfamiliar so I asked another passenger who got off the train whether I was infact in Basel, they said yes so I walked down towards the station and I thought to myself "this really doesnt look like the Basel I was in before" so I rushed back up the platform and asked the conductor whether I was at Basel and again she said yes, and called all aboard. The train lurched away. At this point I was left standing alone on the platform, looking around trying to find out where gate 14 was when I could only see gates up to 11. At this point there is 15 minutes until my next train is supposed to leave. I then ask a train employee where I can make the connection and he informs me that I am not at the correct Basel station and that I should have gotten off at Basel SBB and that the onlz way to get there is a 20 minute tram ride. At this point I have 12 minutes. I then descend into the main station on the brink of tears and notice a taxi stand so I ask the taxi driver how long it will take to get to Basel SBB and he said 5 minutes, so I hopped in and we proceeded to hit every single red light possible. I arrived at the station at 7 00 with my train leaving in 3 minutes I went running accross the station, to my gate, down the stairs... only to see my train pulling out of the station at which point I collapsed on the stairs of the station in a combination of breathlessness and utter despair. Trembling I walk up to an information booth where I am told fortunately that I can just take the next train which will get me there half an hour later. This was reasonable and although it left me upset it ended up being okay as this random two year old decided to come and sit next to me and make faces at me and such, which I of course was more than happy to indulge in. Very funny kid, look into a comedian named Louis from france in 18 years.

So I eventually arrived in Geneva and made it to my hostel (which is very nice and clean and such) without issue. I went to my room and went to unpack my bag when I discovered my facewash had exploded and leaked all into my backpack which contained my one year old laptop which now wont turn on. On the plus side the hostel staff was helpful enough to give me the name of a computer repair shop. Lets all hope my lap top will just turn on tomorrow morning after drying out.

At least my tragedy makes for a good story.

I took 150 pictures this weekend look for them soon on a facebook page near you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kirsten! I am so sorry to hear about your troubles! I can't even imagine the anxiety, I'd still be sitting on the train platform bawling my eyes out. Good thing your made of stiffer stuffing that I. I miss talking with you, hopefully if your laptop survives and we can set an msn date.
    Hearts,
    Sone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well Im afraid things arent looking good for my lap top. I guess a new one wouldnt be the end of the world though. I have resolved to become anxious, I was actually upset with myself for being as upset as I was.

    ReplyDelete