Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Optimism and Networking

So after all of my whining about a lack of a computer I felt a positive post was in order. I have finally started to meet some people here and make valuable connections! This evening I went to dinner with an Austraillian raised in Hong Kong and had 3 hours of conversation on life, international development and everything. This was the first time that I've eaten a meal with anyone in Geneva which was quite refreshing. We had chinese food for dinner and then had movenpick icecream for dessert (note that despite my consumption of icecream everyday I seem to have lost weight, I guess its also worth noting the icecream has a lot less fat in it here) Prior to dinner we went over and saw an exhibit by the International Committee for the Red Cross along the shore of Lake Geneve, which included several installation on the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the work the ICRC had been doing there. It was very refreshing to see a public display which might actually raise some awareness about whats going on there. This made for a fantastic evening and it was nice to meet someone who was also interested in international development staying at the same hostel in Geneva.
My luck continued when I struck up a conversation with someone who I had seen several times in the computer room with long dreadlocks. I found out that he's taking an advanced masters degree in international humanitarian law and human rights, a program which is offered in Geneva and in English which you don't need formal law school training for. When held up to the possibility of 4 more years in law school or 5 more years doing a PhD this program seems like a very inticing prospect for the future considering I that I find Geneva quite charming, although a bit expensive. In the course of our conversation I talked about my thesis and discovered that Tom had encountered a Norwegian man staying in the hostel who has worked in the DRC for 3 years and gave me his room number. When I went up and knocked (mind you not very loudly at this hour) I received no response so I left a note indicating who I was and my e-mail. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with this fellow. All in all this evening has left me feeling much more optimistic. I have 2 new facebook friends and am planning to go to the ICRC museum tomorrow and possibly for a tour of the UN.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. That whole day sounds awesome and I must say I am jealous :)

    ReplyDelete