Monday, September 14, 2009

My visit to QUNO and other tales

So I know I promised an entry on Germany today but as I had to bring my laptop in to the shop today in an attempt to save it from the trash heap the entry will have to wait until I'm not using a public computer as I really want to upload some of my 150 photos to share with you.

So a little about today. First thing in the morning I brought my laptop to a computer shop where they told me that my computer might be salvageable if my motherboard wasn't destroyed by the soap and my attempts to turn the computer on after this occured. If it is not I will have to buy a new one which is a little disappointing as my laptop was only a year old and this will be a huge expense. What did we learn from this? don't put your laptop in the same compartment of your bag as any liquids.
I got through most of my conversation at the computer shop in French and later in the day I got through my first full conversation without reverting to English at all which I must say is a huge improvement to last week. I can only hope this will help improve my french and lead to French dreams which I used to have periodically and are kind of cool.
Later in the day I went to the Quaker United Nations Office to meet with an expert on the demand for Small Arms and Light Weapons which is of course the central issue of my thesis (well I guess one of the two but whatever). In any case I felt like the meeting was really successful and although he is not an expert on the DRC he gave me some information which I should be able to use in my thesis and pointed me in the right direction to find additional print resources which was great.
I'm now sitting here using a pay computer in my hostel waiting for an appropriate time to go and eat dinner. I still haven't really met anyone here socially although a sign on the wall here says the swiss tend to be very private and somewhat unfriendly (those are the sign's words not mine). So anyway hopefully I will soon meet some very interesting people who I will also be able to write about in my blog. I guess of note Switzerland seems to be abound with friendly one and two year olds who love playing peekaboo and just generally smiling at people. Obviously much different from their adult counterparts :P.

2 comments:

  1. Is your laptop still under warranty? It might be worth looking in to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure warranty doesn't cover facewash related incidents.

    ReplyDelete